If you’ve put dental care off because of anxiety or fear of the dentist, we’ve got the answer for you! Our sedation dentistry options are perfect for anyone, no matter how big or small your oral health care needs are.
Some of the benefits of sedation dentistry include:
- The ability to complete all of your treatment in one appointment
- Overcoming anxiety about dental care
- The convenience of a safe, comfortable treatment
- Catching up on delayed oral health care needs
- Access to care at your central, family dental practice
What kind of patients typically request sedation?
- Patients that are afraid of the dentist
- People with a large amount of treatment that needs to be completed
- Adults that want to benefit from the most comfortable care possible
- Patients with more invasive treatment needs
There are two types of sedation that we offer in our practice:
How would you like to relax right through your entire dental treatment? Oral sedation uses a safe prescription sedative that creates a very relaxed feeling in our patients. Most of them feel like they are dreaming or taking a light nap, and don’t even remember anything about their appointment. You’ll take your medication approximately one hour prior to treatment, so that full effects of the medication can take place. Oral sedation can help even the most anxious dental patient overcome their fear of dental treatment. In many cases, all of your treatment can be completed in just one appointment! Effects of the medication last for a few hours, so it will be necessary to have someone drive you home and stay with you until all of the effects have worn off.
Our patients can have access to nitrous oxide during their dental procedures. Drs. Platt and Kidder and our hygienists can administer nitrous during your appointments. Nitrous oxide creates a relaxed feeling from head to toe, and full results are achieved in just a few minutes. After your treatment is completed, it takes only 5 minutes of 100% oxygen to completely reverse the effects of the laughing gas. It’s perfectly safe to drive yourself home or back to work after this type of sedation.